Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the tonsils, the two fleshy pads of tissue at the back of your throat. Most often caused by a viral infection, tonsilitis is a painful condition that can negatively affect your abilities to eat and speak well. Fortunately, here at Tan Head and Neck Clinic in Long Beach, CA, our ENT physicians, Dr. Jesse Tan and Dr. Jesus Tan, offer treatment to those suffering from tonsilitis. Here are 5 signs that you may need their help!
1. Inflammation: Inflammation of the tonsils is the most common symptom of tonsilitis. The swelling will be obvious, due to both a visible throat engorgement and an impaired ability to swallow. Other glands in the lymph nodes, neck, and under the chin may also become swollen.
2. Throat Pain: Throat pain from skin irritation and swelling is another common symptom of tonsilitis. If you have the condition, every swallow can cause burning pain and difficulty breathing. Professional treatment is the only real way to relieve the throat pain.
3. Blisters on Throat: If you have tonsilitis, blisters can also appear on your throat and tonsils. Known as peritonsillar abscesses, these blisters differ from blemishes or spots, as they seem more substantial and are filled with pus. These blisters can make it difficult to both open the mouth fully and swallow correctly. When these blisters are left untreated, they can cause further complications.
4. Painful Earaches: The pain from tonsillitis can spread to the ears and cause painful earaches. The nerves that meet at the back of the throat cause this pain. When the throat ears are affected, it can make for one uncomfortable experience.
5. White Coating: A person with tonsilitis may have a yellow, gray, or white coating on the tonsils. This coating is a sure sign of infection, and you should contact an ENT doctor as soon as you can for proper treatment.
Give us a call
Tonsilitis can affect your day-to-day activities and make life frustrating and miserable. Don't delay—call Tan Head and Neck Clinic at (562) 988-8818 today to schedule an appointment with one of our ENT doctors in Beach, CA.